What insurance does a cabinet maker need?*
If you work as a cabinet maker the nature of your everyday work presents a number of risks.
Wherever you are in Australia, as a cabinet maker, you need suitable and affordable insurance cover, including public liability, to protect yourself and your business from potential claims that may arise from your work activities.
Below are a number of insurance covers that cabinet makers may need.
- Product liability - may protect a cabinet maker when products you have supplied, repaired or manufactured cause harm, injure someone or cause property damage.
- Public liability insurance - Risks cabinet maker small business owners are exposed to from their work activities include that may be covered by public liability insurance include :
- Damage to someone else's property from your carpentry work activities ; which may be covered by public liability insurance
- harm to someone else from slips and falls, inexperience , power equipment , sharp tools, materials, fire and liability hazards on site.
- Commercial property insurance - cover the loss or damage to buildings and property.
- Business Equipment - If your cabinet making equipment is damaged, destroyed or stolen business equipment insurance can provide protection for you and your business.
- Stock - If your cabinet making stock is damaged, destroyed or stolen stock insurance can provide protection for you and your business.
- Business insurance pack – you may be able to combine multiple covers in a specially designed policy for a cabinet making business. Ask your SMART broker for details.
- Workers compensation – cover for employees. Cabinet making is risky for workers undertaking it. Employees may receive injuries due to work pressure and constantly changing work sites. Injuries may result from lifting heavy objects, slips and falls, burns, standing for long hours, stooping and kneeling.
- Marine cargo – cover if you receive or send goods such as building materials via post or freight.
- Professional Indemnity – if you provide professional advice or a fee.
- Commercial motor – may cover any vehicle - car, van , light truck - that you own and use mainly for business.
- Personal Accident and Sickness – to protect your personal income if you can't work for an extended period.
- Tool insurance - Without tool insurance, you will have to dig into your own savings or borrow money to get the tools replaced or repaired.
- General property insurance is the name of the policy that may cover damage or loss to carpenters tools and business equipment such as , mobile, computers and power equipment
Our team of friendly brokers are here to make it easy for you to find suitable cover for your cabinet making business risks. Simply call us on 1300 542 573 or contact us online.
Why do cabinet makers need public liability insurance ?*
Cabinet makers need public liability insurance as cabinet making involves working with volatile materials and hazardous chemicals that increase the probability of an accident on site.
Property, vehicles, machines, tools and equipment being used on site may be damaged due to accidents.
The constant presence of volatile materials such as wood, sawdust, paint, solvents, shavings, chips, adhesives and other chemicals, place the work site at a high risk.
Public liability insurance can help mitigate some of the business risks cabinet makers face.
What does a cabinet makers need to disclose to insurance companies?*
To be covered correctly at claim time as a cabinet maker you need to disclose ALL of your work activities to your insurance broker, and insurance companies, no matter how infrequently you perform that type of work. Are your activities restricted to cabinet making or are you undertaking broader building activities? Insurance policies are priced according to risk. Failure to disclose any type of work you perform means you will not be covered if an incident occurs while undertaking an undisclosed work activity.
How do I get a cabinet makers insurance quote?
Simply TALK to a SMART Business Insurance broker on 1300 542 573 or contact us online for suitable and affordable public liability and business insurance quotes for your cabinet making business.
*Important: Cover may be available subject to meeting insurers underwriting criteria. Some of the covers listed may or may not be available or may have limitations or exclusions. Cover inclusions vary significantly from insurer to insurer. DO NOT rely upon the above. Check your policy schedule carefully for inclusions and exclusions and limitations. Talk to a SMART business insurance broker on 1300 542 573 for more information.
TALK to a SMART Business Insurance adviser
Monday – Friday 8.45 am - 6.00 pm AEST