What insurance does a butcher shop need?*
If you work as a butcher the nature of your everyday work presents a number of risks; including stock and the machinery you use.
Wherever you are in Australia, as a butcher, you need suitable and affordable insurance cover, including public liability, to protect yourself and your business from potential claims that may arise from your work activities.
Below are a number of insurance covers that butcher shops may need.
- Product liability - may protect a butcher when the meat products you have supplied cause harm to your clients – including food poisoning
- Public liability insurance – Risks butcher shop owners are exposed to from their work activities include that may be covered by public liability insurance include :
- Damage to someone else's property from your work activities
- harm to someone else from slips and falls, inexperience , specialised equipment , materials, fire and liability hazards on site.
- Commercial property insurance - cover the loss or damage to your butcher shop premises and property.
- Business Equipment - If your butcher shop equipment is damaged, destroyed or stolen business equipment insurance can provide protection for you and your business.
- Stock - If your meat stock is damaged, destroyed or stolen stock insurance may provide protection for you and your business.
- Business insurance pack – you may be able to combine multiple covers in a specially designed policy for your butcher shop. Ask your SMART broker for details.
- Workers compensation – cover for employees. Butchery is risky for workers undertaking it. Employees may receive injuries due to work pressure and use of specialised equipment and misuse of meat cleavers . Injuries may result from lifting heavy objects, and slips and falls.
- Marine cargo – cover if you receive or send meat
- Commercial motor – may cover any vehicle - car, van , light truck - that you own and use mainly for your butcher business.
- Personal Accident and Sickness – to protect your personal income if you can't work for an extended period.
Our team of friendly brokers are here to make it easy for you to find suitable cover for your butcher shop risks. Simply call us on 1300 542 573 or contact us online.
Why do butchers shops need public liability insurance?*
Butcher shops need public liability insurance as butchery involves working with members of the public, specialised machinery and meat cleavers that increase the probability of an accident in your shop.
Public liability insurance can protect butcher shop owners against damages if customers hurt themselves in your shop or from claims of food poisoning against you.
Public liability insurance can help mitigate some of the business risks butchers face.
How do I get a butcher shop insurance quote?
Simply TALK to a SMART Business Insurance broker on 1300 542 573 or contact us online for suitable and affordable public liability and business insurance quotes for your butcher shop.
1300 542 573
TALK to a SMART Business Insurance adviser
Monday – Friday 8.45 am - 6.00 pm AEST